How To Make Marijuana Butter aka CannaButter
Ahh Butter, the base of any good recipe, used in copious amounts at various high-end restaurants across the globe. You know that’s how they make things taste so amazing right? Paula Deen loves this stuff, its Butter. So back on task, butter, the THC and other goodies we want from our marijuana is fat-soluble, so a great way to do this and have a simple ingredient for our dishes to come is to use butter. After this processes we then will have CannaButter 🙂
First step, make sure you Decarbed your marijuana – if you don’t know what that is, please check out our post – Intro to Cooking with Marijuana (Cannabis)
One last time, make sure to Decarb your marijuana, we don’t want you wasting your time or having a less than potent product.
***Warning**** The task we are about to undertake is quite…aromatic, your house, kitchen, commercial environment is going to smell of marijuana. Be prepared, you’ve been advised!
Before we get to far into the process – we need to touch on dosing, or how much THC will be used per serving. A good number to target for is 10mg per serving. We will link a full article on dosing / serving sizes here in the future. Marijuana THC content varies, for our purposes right now, lets assume your marijuana has 10% THC. Remember 1gram = 1,000mg. Based on this, 1,000mg of marijuana would contain 100mg THC. If you want 10mg per serving, get the weight in milligram of your ground up marijuana and then divide it by the serving size. So if we have 7 grams of marijuana, that would be 7,000 milligrams with 700mg of THC. 700 / 10 would give us 7 servings of our butter or fat we are making.
In our case – I am going to use 1/2 ounce of Marijuana, so that is 14 grams. At 10% THC, I plan to have 14 servings of our butter.
- Supplies: We will need the following:
- 1/2 Ounce of Marijuana Flower (14 Grams). We recommend using flower. Shake, abv (already been vaped), kief, it can all be used but cheapens the flavor in my opinion. At some point in the future we will do an article on alternatives to using flower all the time.
- 1 pound of butter *unsalted*, we do like KerryGold here.
- 4 Cups of Pure Clean High Quality H20…I mean water, you just need water
- Metal Spoon, Spatula
- Medium or Large sauce pan or pot
- Glass or Stainless Steel Bowl (3 quart or so)
- Metal strainer
- Cheese cloth, 8″ x 8″ – 2 pieces
- Knife, Tupperware containers, plastic wrap
- Pair of gloves (rubber ones, like kitchen gloves)
Ok lets get cooking!
- Remember – Low and Slow, this is going to take a few hours.
- Cut butter into several pieces, combine with water and marijuana (cannabis) in the sauce pan or pot over low heat, never boiling only simmering. Set a timer for 3 hours.
- Every 30 minutes give it a gentle stir. The marijuana should not touch the bottom of the pan, and the mixture may thicken a bit, if too much water evaporates and the mixture gets thick add a little water as necessary. But don’t make it soupy.
- After 3 hours stop adding water, allow the mixture to become glossy, and a little dense, maybe another 20 – 30 minutes but watch it closely. Turn off heat, remove the pan from heat and allow to cool.
- Prepare your metal strainer with your 2 pieces of cheese cloth and line it. Place the strainer over the metal or glass bowl. We are going to pour our cooled mixture into this and strain out the butter from the marijuana flower.
- Pour the cooled mixture onto the cheese cloth, use the spatula to press down on the mixture and allow the butter to drain through to the bowl under the strainer.
- With your gloves on, grab the edges of the cheese cloth, bring the corners together and tightly squeeze out any remaining butter for the marijuana. Once you are satisfied it is all out, throw away the ball of marijuana in cheese cloth.
- Place the bowl of butter in the fridge, approximately 2 hours for it to cool and solidify.
- Remove once solidified and use a knife to cut the butter off the edges of the bowl. Slice a piece out to be able to get the spatula under the butter.
- Lift the butter out of the bowl onto a plate or cutting board. Use a paper towel to dab off any excess water. Your butter should have a green tint to it and is ready to be used or frozen.
- CannaButter will be good for a few weeks in the fridge and up to 6 months if you freeze it.
- ENJOY and Get Cooking! Try it out by spreading some on toast with breakfast, or check out our recipes to get cooking!