Decarboxylation – Activating – Decarbing
What does this all mean?
Using Marijuana in cooking begins with understanding the basic science of decarboxylation. Also known as Activating or Decarb – ing your Marijuana, It is crucial to the process of making edibles, tinctures and topical treatments. Simply, decarboxylation means to heat. Marijuana requires two things to be potent, dry aged and to be heated. Chemical reactions occur when marijuana is heated that gives the desired effects.
What temperature do you need to heat marijuana at in order to decarb or activate it? Well we will get to that, just remember the lower the temperature the longer it will take, but that is a good thing, because the higher the temperature the more Terpenes are burned off.
Terpenes are chemical compounds in marijuana that give each strain its unique smell and flavor. They also have medicinal benefits and work in conjunction with THC to enhance medicinal benefits.
Now that we know that, lets get started!
So lets “Activate” or “Decarb” the marijuana. WARNING: This is going to smell, your house is going to smell great, but be warned this process of decarbing and the subsequent cooking processes can cause potent smells. So no matter how many Little Car Trees you hang, this will be an aromatic experience. Cheers!
- Preheat your oven to 240° F. / 115° C.
- Break up the marijuana by hand and spread evenly in one layer on a rimmed baking sheet.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes, carefully mixing every 10 minutes to ensure the marijuana is evenly toasted.
- Remove the marijuana when it has become a light to medium brown and is dried out. Wait for it to cool. It should crumble quite easily.
- Grind up using your preferred method, not a fine powder but coarsely ground and store in a cool dry place until you are ready to make butter, or oil.
After our Marijuana is activated we are ready to make some oil!
Marijuana, well the THC in Marijuana that we want is Fat Soluble. So without getting into the professional extraction methods, we are going to focus on cannabis infused fats to make our wonderful dishes. To do that, we have to extract into some kind of fat, which would be Butter, Olive Oil or Coconut Oil.