CBD oil, its getting its fair share of attention, being advertised in the wellness community as an all-natural, many times organic remedy for aliments from anxiety, arthritis, Crons disease, cancer and more! People are having CBD parties to share it with each other (and probably sell it new people, like Tupper-ware in the 70’s!).
Is it all that or snake oil? Let’s dive in…
A quick note – As with anything, it is imperative to seek medical advice from a qualified processional. Here are Cooking With Marijuana we are certainly not medical professionals, so speak with your doctor first!
First – What is CBD Oil Exactly?
CBD, short for cannabidiol, is the non-psychoactive compound in hemp and marijuana. So unlike some of things that we have created in this blog, CBD won’t get you “high”. CBD has been found to have many benefits for humans, and it interacts with a system of neurons in our body collectively called the Endocannabinoid system. Interesting note – Dogs have this system as well!
It has been established that many of the benefits people seem to get from consuming marijuana (smoking, vaping, eating it) is a result of the different CBD compounds and their interaction within the human body. Getting “high” just happens to be a fun and relaxing effect of the THC in marijuana.
Why Oil for CBD?
Like our other discussions on here about creating marijuana butter, oil and tinctures, the compounds from marijuana or hemp bind really well to fat soluble items. It’s also then easy to bake with, creating gummies, treats and much more. Mixing into food or water is very easy as well. Or you could just take it sublingually (a few drops under your tongue).
What types of CBD products exist?
CBD comes in a range of products from oil, to tinctures, gummies and much more.
Check out a selection from our affiliate partners, their high quality CBD products are excellent to start with:
What are the benefits of CBD Oil?
There are many aliments afflicting dogs that CBD oil can help address.
- Arthritis – CBD has anti-inflammatory properties that can alleviate arthritis and its consequences.
- Pain – Because of the CBD anti-inflammatory properties, pain can reduced or eliminated with the right treatment plan
- Anxiety & Stress– CBD has calming effects, it can be similar to taking a Valium for its users. Particularly helpful during stressful times. Stress has been shown to be a major factor, contributing to many other ailments we experience. Finding remedies to lower stress levels is important, as lower stress responses can lower inflammation and cortisol levels that contribute to many other things.
- Seizures – CBD has been shown to reduce the number of seizures and the severity of them in humans. If you or a loved one is prone to seizures, you will want to talk to your doctor about CBD. There have been cases of it being beneficial for those suffering from epilepsy as well.
- Appetites – Having trouble eating? Not interested in food or having trouble keeping it down? Try some CBD it has been shown to increase the appetite of its user!
What side effects exist for using CBD Oil and CBD products?
Although no scientific data exists on this, users could experience similar side effects, however much milder, as marijuana. For those that have not experienced it, it can be similar to a stiff drink or taking a valium:
- Drowsiness: The calming effect of CBD could cause you to be sleepy
- Low-Blood Pressure: Especially in higher dosages, CBD has been known to cause a temporarily drop in blood pressure.
- Dry-Mouth: It may make you more thirsty
- Appetite: Generally it is on the more hungry side, you will probably have a higher appetite for food.
Can you cook with CBD oils?
Absolutely you can cook with CBD. It is a great way to incorporate it into your diet and take advantage of its many benefits. Here are some tips to get start with incorporating CBD into your diet:
- Start small. Like anything you are beginning with, start with a small dose, as you learn how it interacts with your body, you can increase your dose.
- Try adding it to simple items like Teas, Smoothies, Yogurt and more.
- Like marijuana, CBD works best in recipes that have fat in them, something with Olive Oil, Butter, Coconut Oil.
- Use quality product. With anything you always want to use a quality product, we recommend checking out:
- Be mindful of heat. You can cook off the CBD compounds. So you want to avoid direct heat and not heat over 350 degrees F.
Wrapping Up The Ultimate guide to CBD oil
There is no shortage of media and content out there toting the benefits of using CBD. Overall, it seems to be an excellent option for people to seek relief from their ailments. So if you have pain, anxiety issues or seizures, it would be a worthwhile conversation to have with your doctor.
Check out below, we will keep any updated list of different recipes you can try when cooking with CBD
Until Next Time