Canna-Oil: Marijuana Infused Cooking Oils
Canna-Oil, a great alternative to butter when trying to make your dishes healthier. Very versatile as well, from whipping up some morning eggs, to baking, salad dressing, dipping sauces and more, Canna-oil is great. Butter, well I never tire of butter, but oil allows some other flavor, flexibility and enjoyment. Olive Oil, Coconut Oil, Peanut Oil, any fatty oil per-say can be used. This post will look at Olive Oil specifically and we will target Coconut Oil in the future. Also just learned about making Canna-Peanut-Butter, so we will try that very soon too!
Lets Get to It!
Note! Some people say you don’t need to “Decarb” your Marijuana before doing this, I disagree and believe it is essential to making good oil or butter or canna whatever. If you don’t know what I am talking about, check out decarbing here!
What do we need – aka Ingredients:
- Olive Oil (6 Cups)
- One Ounce (28 grams) of Marijuana
- Sauce Pan or Crock-Pot (Slow-Cooker)
- 8 inch x 8 inch cheese cloth (2 pieces)
- Metal Strainer
- Medium Glass Bowl
- Metal Spoon *Large* or Spatula
- Rubber Kitchen Gloves
Adjust the amount as you like, if you are using half an ounce of marijuana (14 Grams), use 3 cups oil, if using a 1/4 ounce of marijuana, use 1.5 cups of oil etc. I just like making things in batches.
What we need to-do! FYI – We prefer the Slow-Cooker for this
- Put your pan on low or your Slow-Cooker on Low
- Pour in oil and allow it to heat up. When you begin to smell the oil we can start adding Marijuana.
- Grind up your Decarbed Marijuana so it is coarsely ground, If you followed out guide on Decarbing, this should already be done.
- Add a little bit of your Marijuana, stirring and making sure it is completely covered. And keep adding or stirring.
- Keep an eye on it and stir every 30 minutes. Saucepans are most likely to burn, so keep an eye on the temperature. Otherwise stir every 30 minutes for 3 hours.
- Turn off and allow to cool for 20-30 minutes. Once it has cooled down a bit, put double cheese cloth over metal strainer and place in your medium bowl. Put on your rubber gloves and pour our oil and cannabis mixture into the cheese cloth.
- Take your large metal spoon or spatula and press down, getting the oil out of the Marijuana. Fold corners of cheese cloth together, and wring tightly to get the oil out. Once you are satisfied you got all the oil out, toss out the marijuana and cheese cloth.
- Store in an air tight container in the fridge – should stay good for 2 months.